Yancey
what is the difference? I watched a TV drama.There is a scene,a man is watching TV,his wife complains: 'Could you at least look at me before settle in for three hours of television?' The man answers :'I looked at you when I came in.' I think 'I have looked at you since I came in' maybe more appropriate. So ,what is the difference between the two sentences? Thank you in advance.My point is why don't use Present perfect in this sentence.Such as: 'I have looked at you when I came in'
I see it this way: I looked at you when I came in: 我进来的时候看见你 I've been looking at you since I came in:自从我进来后,我(一直)看见你 (Sorry for my very probable mistakes in chinese!)
"Could you at least look at me before settling in for three hours of television?" (gerund please!) "I looked at you when I came in." = When I arrived, I looked to see if you were here. In fact, I only looked to see if someone else was home. It so happened that I saw you. "I have looked at you since I came in." = sometime between my arrival and your complaint I looked at you. Unfortunately, this is far too vague and weak to serve as the man's cutting retort. His literal interpretation of "look at" is "I saw", but the wife's meaning is "pay me some attention". He's being deliberately unkind here.