Надя
Could anybody help me, please? I have to write a short composition about my impression of Van Gogh's painting "Sunflowers". I have no idea. Help me please.
3
0
Sunflowers ( in French: Tournesols) are the subject of two series of still life paintings by the Dutch painter Vincent van Gogh. The earlier series executed in Paris in 1887, the flowers are lying on the ground, while the second set executed a year later in Arles shows bouquets of sunflowers in a vase. In the artist's mind both sets were linked by the name of his friend Paul Gauguin, who acquired two of the Paris versions. About eight months later Van Gogh hoped to welcome and to impress Gauguin again with Sunflowers, now part of the painted decoration he prepared for the guestroom of his Yellow House where Gauguin was supposed to stay in Arles. After Gauguin's departure, Van Gogh imagined the two major versions as wings of the Berceuse Triptych, and finally he included them in his exhibit at Les XX in Bruxelles.
This might help: The sunflowers were initially painted for when his friend, Gaugin, was going to live with him. He painted it to decorate a wall in his yellow bedroom. Apparently it was pretty innovate for its use of yellow, and Van Gogh himself was considered influential for the way he painted stuff in a weird psychedelic way that pushed emotion onto the viewer. It was initially a token of gratitude and friendship from Van Gogh. I don't know. How do you feel when you look at this painting? I feel like it's supposed to be a happy painting but... the curl of the petals and the twisting of the flowers make it seem a bit... bitter and thorny maybe. Van Gogh and Gaugin did have a lot of conflict and hard times between them. Also, the colour of the yellow should make me feel happy and brighten up the picture, but it makes it feel a bit... bleak. The whole painting feels a bit desperate and random, like I'm trying to look for something consistent and predictable and comforting from the whole thing, but I can't find it. I think maybe Van Gogh can't be unreservedly happy, even when presenting a gift to a dear friend. I keep feeling like the painting has pain behind it. What do you think?
Надя
English, French, Italian, Russian
English, French, Italian