prabhu
where to use this three words I could not understand to use this three words its same meaning whether, among, inbetween Please explain
5 paź 2012 06:16
2
0
Whether: It's a yes-no question word-- "Whether he's right or wrong, it's still important to respect him as a person." Among and Between: Simply put, "between" is for two things, and "among" is for several things. So you might say "They fought between themselves over whether or not to go the the party". That means you know there's only two people. If they "fought among themselves", you know there's more than two. There is an exception, though. Sometimes when several things hugely contrast with each other, you won't use "among", because "among" sounds too much like they're *one group*. That's when you might say "I have to choose between the red car, the blue car, and the black car." In this case, saying "choosing among" these three cars makes them sound like you're choosing randomly, as if you're picking from a box of chocolates without thinking.
5 października 2012
Examples: 1. I do not know WHETHER you have consulted a dictionary for this question. 2. Let's keep this secret AMONG ourselves. 3. The dog darted INBETWEEN the two cars.
5 października 2012
prabhu
English, Tamil