Victor Xie
What does "fit on a table top" mean? I read a sentence in a report on Apple, which goes like, "That suggests that Cook is trying to mould the company to see itself not as a scrappy underdog – as it was under Jobs until recently – but as what it actually is, a business giant, even though (as Cook once put it) all the individual products it sells could fit on a tabletop." I'm confused by the last clause. Why say "even though"? What does "all products could fit on a tabletop" mean?
It is a sarcastic sentence. A table top is not that big is it? " all the individual products it sells could fit on a tabletop" .= they do not make many products.
I believe he meant that though they are a business GIANT, in truth everything they make is small. Small enough to fit on a table top. So maybe he means that they might be a giant company but they should still remain small and humble. Just my guess, I hope it helps.
If one of all the individual products sold by Sony or Dell were put together in one place, you would need a warehouse. Most big companies have many products and many different variants of each product, Apple sells very few products and offers very little choice for each product,usually something only small companies do.