is that a proper usage? If a friend were very ill, how to express my sorry for him? is " It's sad to hear you succumb to such a serious disease" would be fine? or what should i say?
Don't say that! Simply saying. "I'm so sorry" might be sufficient. When someone has a serious illness, perhaps even a terminal (deadly) illness, then I would keep the words to a minimum. Let them speak and respond accordingly. People who are dying or who are in the hospital for a serious illness will remember that you thought of them by doing things rather than saying things. Visiting them, perhaps sending flowers, these things mean so much to people when they are sick.
Please do not use the word "succumb", which carries a meaning of "die". If a friend is very seriously ill, there are probably no words capable of expressing your sorrow. It may be enough to let your friend know of your concern and support. Tell your friend you will be there for them.