Alex
Past forms in the present. " Before us lie many days of companionship. It is time we knew each other. " Why the speaker uses here ' know ' in the past form? Wouldn't be more appropriate to say ' get know each other ' or something in this vein? Past form in the present context... I just cannot get hold of it or did I miss something in grammar? Thanks.
4
0
I agree with Lilya - this is the subjunctive form, which looks almost identical to the past tense. We know it as subjunctive because the action is clearly hypothetical (write it as "it is time that..." and it's probably clearer). You would also say "it is time we got to know each other."
Lilya, thanks a lot. My commends and appreciations. But why you put it outside of main area?
In my opinion it is Subjunctive mood referring to the Present, which expresses one's wish or condition. Like 'I wish I were you, I wish we were there at present, It's time we were there'.
Alex
English, German, Russian