Vita
Do we use article "the" in this case I've read a sentence like this "Mr. Adam is Director of of the Center....", and I wonder if it's right, since I think we should use article "the" before "Director" in this case. Can somebody explain it to me? Thanks in advance.
3
0
Firstly: Mr Adams is Director of the centre. In this case you can leave out the article. The reasoning here is too complicated.
1. Mr. Adams is Director of the Center. ("Director of the Center" is his job title as is indicated by the use of capital letters. It is the name of his position. However, this particular construction is a little strange; whoever wrote it wanted to emphasize the position.) 2. Mr. Adams is the director of the center. (Both the speaker and listener know Mr. Adams and which center is being spoken about. This statement would be more common.)
i think that,we should use "the" when We mean a particular thing or person and not in general.. here we know who is the Director(Mr.Adam)..for that reason we must use "The"
Vita
English, Russian, Vietnamese
Russian