Japanese Culture: When to use the honorific vs. Humble form In what situation is the honorific form used vs. the humble form? As I understand it, the honorific is used with someone high ranking than you. The humble form is used by high-ranking officials to low-ranking officials. Is this correct?
They are tricky and sometimes difficult even for native speakers to use properly. Both of them are used when we talk to superiors. They are differentiated by subject, WHO does/acts something in a sentence. for example; 食べる (eat) : basic form 召し上がる (eat) : honorific form / SOMEONE who is superior eats いただく(eat): humble form / I ( or WE) eat Polite form (丁寧語) It's just a polite way to talk. i.g. (あなたは)何を食べましたか? = What did you eat? (私は)先に食べました. = I ate it (before you do). Honorific form (尊敬語) It is used when talking about an action of high-ranking people, superiors and customers. i.g. (あなたは)何を召し上がりましたか?  = What did YOU eat? Humble form (謙譲語) It is used when I (or we) describe something about myself (ourselves) to superiors or high-ranking people. i.g. (私は)先にいただきました。 = I ate it (before you do). * We usually say "いただきます" out of habit before eating as you might know, and it's a humble word. ----- Folllowing is a Japanese web page about those words, which is simple but well organized. http://park2.wakwak.com/~lion/benkyou/kotoba-tukaiwake.htm