Nivaas
Use of " How Come" ... In which situation we use How come? Can anyone give some Examples on this????
10
0
"How come...?" is a politer way of saying "Why...?", except it refers to a situational outcome. If you don't want to sound nosy, you can use "How come...?" e.g.: What happened to Sarah?/She lost her job./How come? God, I'm so depressed./How come? How come you're saving all this money?/Because I need a new car. You wouldn't use it if it's not rude to want to know the answer. "Why is my house on fire?!"/"Why am I missing $300 from my bank account?!" or if you're being a bit rude/cheeky/casual "ARGH! I failed my test! Why am I so dumb?! Why?!" You would use "How come...?" at work when talking to colleagues and bosses and to strangers you want to be polite to (to customers, you say "May I ask why...?"). And you would use "Why...?" most any other time.
**It means : how is it possible?; why?, how can it be? ** 'How come you are so late?' 'How come he can go but I can't?' 'How come?' *"How come you guys have never played poker with us?" *"Why is it that you guys have never played poker with us?"
It might be thought of as a shortened form of "How did it come to be that...?" but just think of it as "WHY?"
The simplest answer to this question is that "How come?" means "Why?". "How come you left school and came home early?" "Why did you leave school and come home early?" "How come we have to eat salad before dessert?" "Why do we have to eat salad before dessert?"
Nivaas
English, Telugu