Maurício
When is used "They" and "Them"? And when I used "I got" and "I have"?have the same meaning, i am confused. Thanks for help me..
5
0
"I got" is the past tense of "I get": "I got a dog yesterday." What you might be thinking of is "I've got" which is the contracted form of "I have got": "I've got a pencil." "I have a pencil." These two can be used interchangeably. But you will find that using "have" can sound a little more formal and "I've got" a little more casual. Certain expressions just sound better using the more casual of the two: "You think you're better than me? I've got $100 that say you're not." However, the difference is very minimal and you can usually get away with using either. In regards to "they" and "them"; "they" is the 'subjective' form of the pronoun and is used when the pronoun is doing the action: "They skate everyday." "Them" is the 'objective' form of the pronoun and is used when an action is done TO the pronoun. "We greeted them with cheers." The easiest way to remember is: THEY did it to THEM.
I have is correct. We use I got to usually mean the same thing. I have to go and I have got to go are the same. I have a dog means I own a dog, I got a dog mean I have a dog but implies I recently received it. They and them are both pronouns but them is the object of a clause usually...so They gave presents to them makes sense but them gave presents to they does not make sense. Them can also be used when you don't know the gender of someone. If anybody is looking for me tell them I'm not here. I don't think this use is formal and would probably not be acceptable in some formal types of writing but in everyday conversation it is OK.
Maurício
English, Japanese, Portuguese