Willow
What does "offhand" and "chance remark" mean in the following? What does "offhand" and "chance remark" mean in the following? Thank you in advance! Well, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Let Fern associate with her friends in the barn if she wants to. I would say, offhand, that spiders and pigs were fully as interesting as Henry Fussy. Yet I predict that the day will come when even Henry will drop some chance remark that catches Fern's attention. It's amazing how children change from year to year.
1
0
Without any involved research into the matter. If somebody asks me how many employees my company has, I might immediately answer: "Offhand, I'd say about 110." I am not sure, but I know about what it is. I have not taken the time to make sure. If I go to the human resources department and find out. I can say. "The number is exactly 112." I would no longer use 'offhand', because I have given thought to this and done some research.
Willow