Yancey
what is the difference? I changed the color of my mailbox. I have changed the color of my mailbox. What is the difference between the two sentences? They both look the same to me.Tense is a really difficult point to non-native-English speakers.
7
0
It is often possible to use the "present perfect" (I have changed) or the "past simple" (I changed). Just like your examples. But do not use the present perfect when you talk about a finnished time( for example, yesterday / ten minutes ago / in 1985). use the simple past: 1.I 'lost' my key yesterday. ( not I've lost) 2.It 'was' very hot last summer. (not has been) 3." 'Did' you see the news on TV last night?" "No, I 'went' to bed early." Do not use the present perfect if there is no connection with the present. : 1.The Chinese 'invented' printing. (not have invented) 2.Beethoven 'was' a great composer. (not has been) Compare present perfect and simple past: We use the present perfect for a period of time that continues from the past until now. unfinished past [----------- l ------------] now today simple past: We use the simple past for a finished time in the past. finished [----------------------] now yesterday I hope it's been useful. ;) Good luck
First one - Past Indefinite. Just a fact in past. Second one - Present Perfect. People can deal with this information right now.
As stand alone sentences it is impossible to see the difference. You will just have to see them in context. Apart from that you need to study: 1. Past Simple 2. Present Perfect. Nobody learned this stuff in a day. Just be patient and you'll learn these thngs.
Yancey