James
What does "really" modify? Let's say that Tom knows a few thousand Chinese characters and -- with the aid of a dictionary -- can read a newspaper article, But he cannot speak or understand Chinese when spoken to him. Thus, we would say, "Tom does not really understand Chinese," Some experts say that "really" modifies the verb "understand"; some experts say that "really" modifies the whole sentence (since it means "in fact"). May I have your opinion? Thank you
6
0
I think that "really" modifies the whole predicate. The question now is: what is the predicate? Is it "understand"? Or is it "understands Chinese"? You decide.
Thank you, AhmeTT.
December 28, 2012
I think in this sentence "really = totally" .. pobably opposite of that sentence is "i barely understand chinese"
December 27, 2012
Thank you, Anne, very much for your answer.
I think the experts who said that "really "modifies the whole sentence are not really experts .I am Chinese ,the word "really " modifies the vebs "understand ",the whole sentence mean Tom does not know Chinese very well.
James