Gennaro
From a famous song ....why "You got to be startin’ somethin’" and not "You got to start"??
Hello, My name is maris, which is really nice to get on this site, I took interest in you after reading your profile at (www.italki.com). ([email protected]) I believe age and distance has nothing to do with love, so just drop me an email through my private e-mail address ([email protected]), so that we can communicate better and I send you my images. Thank you. maris.
April 10, 2013
"gotta" = "(to have) got to" = "to have to" = "must" (1) "You got to be starting something" => "You always want to start something (a fight)" or "I think you're starting something (a fight)" (This is an inference/assumption.) (2) "You got to start something" => I want you to start something (a fight). (This is a command or showing obligation.) I think Michael Jackson is saying that the person in the song always wants to fight (1). He does not want to fight with him or her so (2) doesn't make sense. Example sentences where "must" is NOT used to show obligation: - "She's gotta have the last word in an argument." (desire) [She wants the last word in an argument.] - "You've gotta be kidding me!" / "You must be joking!" (inference) [I think you're kidding me. / I think you're joking.] - (doorbell rings) "That must be the pizza delivery boy." (assumption) [I think it's the pizza delivery boy.]
I think "to be starting" means "right now, without delay" and "to start" means " in general, when you have time and so on".