When I should use " have " and " had " ? I'm still confused until now whether I should use " have " or " had " if I want to make a sentence that indicates that something already happened. Example: - I have learned English in the morning. or I had learned English in the morning. - I have visited my sister last night. or I had visited my sister last night. Thank you :)
HAVE : Present perfect tense : describes an action that happened at an indefinite time in the past or that began in the past and continues in the present. When you only want to say that you have already done something in the past, you can use ''have''. e.g. I have learnt English (means that you you have learnt english as in you know english) I have visited my sister ( means that you have already visited your sister at some point in past) HAD : Past Tense / Past perfect tense : describes an action that took place in the past at a specific point of time or before another past action. This tense is formed by using had with the past participle of the verb If you want to specify an action that had taken place at a specific point of time in the past, you must use ''had'' or in some cases you can skip it altogether. So, in this case, the correct sentence would be : I had learnt English in the morning OR I learnt English in the morning and I had visited my sister last night. OR I visited my sister last night For more information, see this link: http://leo.stcloudstate.edu/grammar/tenses.html