arthurbinson
I get confused with these sentences. By right, which is the correct one?? 1) ''The pipe was leaking. But I fixed it''. 2) ''The pipe has been leaking. But I fixed it''.
3
0
Ok, this is a good question, let me clarify it for you. The 1st sentence is "past continuous" tense. We use the past continiuous to say thet somebody was in the middle of doing something at a certain time. The action or situation had already started before this time but had not finished. I started doing [------------ I was doing ----------] I finished doing ------------------------------------ now 1.This time last year "I was living" in Brazil. 2.What "were" you "doing" at 10:00 last night? 3.I waved at her. but she "wasn't looking". The pipe was leaking ---> means "the pipe was leaking in a period of time and it was in the middle of leaking that you fixed it, an action has happened in the middle of another action: (We use the "past simple" and the "past continuous" togather): 1.I "was walking" home when I "met" Dave. 2.I "saw" you in the park yesterday. you "were sitting" on the grass and reading a book. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Your 2nd sentence is the present perfect continuous tense: We use the present perfect continuous for an activity that has recently stopped or just stopped. There is a connection with now: a: What's happened? why is the floor wet? b: The pipe has been leaking. (The pipe's been leaking over a perod of time and you still can see the results! ---> The floor's wet. 1.You're out of breath. "Have" you "been running"? (You're out of breath now.) 2.Jason is very tired. He "has been working" very hard. (He's tired now.) We often use the present perfect continuous in this way, espacially with "HOw long", "For" and "Since". The activity is still happening or has just stopped: 1.How long have you been studying English? (you're still studying English.) 2. a:How long has it been raining? b:It has been raining "for" two hours. 3.Christopher hasn't been feeling well "recently". You can use the present perfect continuous for actions thet are repeated over a period of time: Debbie is a very good tennis player. She's "been playing since she was eight". I hope it helped you. ;)
arthurbinson
English, Indonesian, Malay