Eftihia
"Aliens' police" : a translation issue I have recently come across a translated sign from Greek that read: Aliens' Police, Lavrion It meant to refer to the police immigration department. I know that an "alien" can mean a foreigner in English, but do you think this is a good sentence in English or will it make people think of E.T.??? :D
Well, the options are either "alien police" or "foreign police" (the plural possessive on the sign was incorrect). Of course, both of these phrases can have a different meaning, but in either case we understand from the context that they are the police who deal with foreigners living in the country. When I was in Slovakia, we used "the alien police" when talking about my residency. No problem there.
It's rather like the French sports shop "Athlete's Foot"!
This sounds funny in English at best and at worst means real aliens. I recommend the use of 'foreigners' rather than 'aliens' :)