Alina_33
Correct please.. Hello! Yes, you're right.At school we learn British English.That's why sometimes I don't understand what are you writing about. We learn Endlish three hours a week.In English class we study grammar rules,new words,regular and irregular verbs.I think it is very important. The difference between British English and American English is that words can written the same way, but pronounced differently.Also I heard Americans often substitude letters 't' and 'd' for a sound 'r' in a colloqual speech,is it true? I know some common vocabulary differences: lift (GB)-elevator(US) ; hiliday(GB)- vacation (US); pavement(GB) -sidewalk(US). I have 2 question for you! The first is: in British language when a word ends in a single consonant,it is doubled when we add vowel; for example: traveller ,but I heard it is another rule in American English.So,it will be correct to write traveler? The second question is: What does word "ain't" means?
16 أكتوبر 2012 14:28
2
0
Certain words, as you've aforementioned, "Traveller (UK) as opposed to traveller (US)"are spelt differently. Both are accepted though! Like these, there are many other variants! "Ain't'" is sometimes used colloquially to denote something negative, as isn't or is not or am not and so forth.
4 يونيو 2015
1. So,it will be correct to write traveler? Yes, in American English it's spelt with one l. 2. What does word "ain't" means? In spoken English it can be used instead of 'am not', 'isn't', 'aren't'
16 أكتوبر 2012
Alina_33
English, Russian, Spanish