esra.R
past perfect / past simple hi , I want to know the difference between the 2 tenses of past perfect and past simple . I know that we use p.perfect to describe actions happened in the past as earlier ones . another use is to describe actions in the past in certain point of time, which I don't really understand , why do we use it since we have past simple . like in this sentence : I had done the washing up by mid night .
See, the simple past and past perfect serves different purposes. They both are necessary part of grammar. The simple past is used to state and event that happened in past with no need of additional details. e.g. I washed the dishes However, we use the past perfect simple tense to make it clear that an event was completed before another event.. When I arrived there Sarah had already left. (I arrived after lunch. Sara went home before lunch.) 2. It is used to refer to activities that were completed before a point of time. e.g. I had done the washing up by midnight. i.e. I had done the washing before 12 in the night Is it clear now ?