Remy
past tense used in present tense Recently sunbihee explained the difference between 화나다 & 화내다. 화나다 being present tense and 화내다 being past. but does this mean you would never say 화냈습니다? Also I've heard 화났습니다 is frequently used in the present tense, is this correct?
화나다 - present tense = (just state = is angry(?)) 화내다 - present tense too. = (express anger outside with action such as scolding, shouting) 화났어/화났어요/화났습니다 - past tense = (got angry) 화냈어/화냈어요/화냈습니다 - past tense as well = got I hope this will help you
1) 화나다 being present tense and 화내다 being past. -> not past but present. past tense 화났다 / 화냈다 2) but does this mean you would never say 화냈습니다? -> No. You can use 화냈습니다 for past tense ex) - 나는 그에게 화를 냈다 I was offended with him. (화냈다=화를 냈다) - 어제 아버지가 화냈을 때 너무 무서웠다. Yesterday when my dad got angry, I got really scared. * We generally use 화를 내다 than 화내다 (and same with 화가 나다 than 화나다) 3) I've heard 화났습니다 is frequently used in the present tense, is this correct? -> Yes it is. The way to use tense is different from languages. ex) 너 화났어? Are you angry? 존은 나 때문에 화가 났어(We don't know if Jhon is angry still now) And you can say also "존은 나 때문에 화가 나있어(we can know he is angry) Jhon is angry because of me. 존은 화가 나 있고 혼자 있고 싶어해요 Jhon is angry and wants to be alone. 화내지마! Don't be angry! 그는 언제나 화를 잘 내 He is angry all the time .