Yancey
A question about tense A woman came back home from supermarket.She saw her children was playing games with their babysitter. The woman said hello to her kids,but the kids indulged in the games so they failed to notice her.The woman wanted to attract attention of the kids, so she said :'I've got candies' Why the woman use present perfect? Why don't she say I get canies? I think the present tense make more sense. Please answer my question if you know the answer.I am really confused by this question. Thank you.
4
0
''I've got candies'' tells me she bought them earlier, but most importantly she has them now. ''I get candies'' is a habitual action. If you want present simple for this situation, you need ''I have candies.'' Both ''I have'' and ''I've got'' are used to denote possession.
She obtained the candy at an unspecified time in the past. Therefore the present perfect tense is appropriate.
Yancey