Mädchen
Question.Could you please clarify? What is the difference between half-breed and bilingual?
9
0
These are completely different words. Half-breed is an historic term used to describe anyone who is of mixed Native American (especially North American) and white European parentage. Métis is a more general French term for mixed race, which has generally referred to a person of descent from two different major ethnic groups, such as European and African, European and Native American, or European and Asian. Hence they are a mix of different ethnic groups. Multilingualism is the act of using multiple languages, either by an individual speaker or by a community of speakers. Bilingual is a special case where a person or a community speaks two languages. The two obviously are very different. One signifies the race and the other, the language.
"Half-breed" is derogatory. I really advise against ever using it. The acceptable term is "of mixed heritage." Bilingual refers only to language ability, and doesn't tell me about a person's heritage or ethnicity.
Thank you Amy, I will remember that.
Hi, Laysan. I think 'a person of mixed race' is better word than 'a half-breed'.
Mädchen
German, Other, Russian
German