delana
i am puzzled with this sentence, please help me out "Oh my God! Our bodies are extraordinary, we throw all sorts at them and they hardly ever let us down." in this sentence, how to understand——we throw all sorts at them? thanks
- we throw all sorts (of things) at them... I would think.
In this sentence it means that we do a lot with our bodies. We jump out of airplanes, we fall many times in our lives, but still our bodies heal and recover. That kind of trowing could you think of :)
oh,thank you very much baseballfan .
However, if we include the words "of things" then the meaning is close to what Miss Roses said. Generally speaking, using the term "throwing xxxx" could also include "throwing obstacles" to make things more difficult. In this case, we could also be not getting enough sleep, eating too much, not exercising, etc. etc. which could cause our bodies to let us down, meaning getting sick.
As jon said, it needs to include something like "we throw all sorts (of things)". "We throw all sorts" by itself is a fragment and does not make sense if you take it literally.