BlackSmith
different meanings of "good for you"? I know the meaning as in 0."It's good for you to sleep earlier". but in conversations a single "Good for you!" seems to have other meanings as :1.You are right / reasonable to say this way . 2.Congratulations! 3.You did a good job! Did I get it right ? Thank you !
19. Okt 2012 12:04
5
0
"Good for you!" = used as an exclamation of praise or approval (for someone's success or good luck); a complimentary expression of encouragement for something that someone has done or received
19. Oktober 2012
i think it can be sarcastic too like when someone is looking for their own best interest and ignoring the interest of others
19. Oktober 2012
"Good for you! = something healthy or beneficial for you!!
19. Oktober 2012
I can't say anything about 1st clue but you're right about 2nd and 3rd clues. Thefreedictionary says that it means: "a complimentary expression of encouragement for something that someone has done or received." In Russian, we use a noun "молодец" for this in most cases. We use this noun to congratulate someone or refer to someone who have done their job perfectly and we really happy for or proud of that person.
1. November 2012
BlackSmith
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Japanese