track.and.basketball
Please help me Help me. I can't understand this passage below. Please paraphrase or explain.(This is a part of THE COUNT AND THE WEDDING GUEST by O.henry Gather the idea, girls--all black, you know, with the preference for crepe de--oh, crepe de Chine-that's it. All black, and that sad, faraway look, and the hair shining under the black veil (you have to be a blonde, of course), and try to look as if, although your young life had been blighted just as it was about to give a hop-skip-and- a-jump over the threshold of life, a walk in the park might do you good, and be sure to happen out the door at the right moment, and-- oh, it'll fetch 'em every time. But it's fierce, now, how cynical I am, ain't it?--to talk about mourning costumes this way.
1
0
Does this make it any easier to understand? Crepe de Chine = a sort of fabric, typically made out of silk All black = dressed in black Veil = a piece of thin material worn by women to cover the face or head Blighted = spoiled To give a hop-skip-and-a-jump over the threshold of life = to begin in all its glory 'em = them
track.and.basketball
English, German, Japanese, Russian
English, German, Russian