arthurbinson
Do these have the same meaning? They look similar. 1) ''The cup is broken'' 2) ''The cup has broken''
There is a small difference. The cup is broken The cup is broken now, but we don't know when. It could be a long time ago. The cup has been broken This would be said if the cup were broken quite recently It would also be said if I wanted to say it was broken more than once or in relation to the current time. "The cup has been broken before this."
1) ''The cup is broken'' -->; the cup is broken as you find it (It might have broken at anytime during the past) e.g. A. Bring me the cup. Check it if it is alright. B. The Cup is broken ! 2) ''The cup has broken'' -->; The cup has just broken (or in the recent past,i.e. the cup was alright till some time ago) (more used as a news) A. Oh my god ! The cup has broken !! B. I told you to be more careful !