Tatyana
Modal verb: I can't understand the sentence BELOW. Could you help me? Could she be living in Russia? Why is used "be" with "could"?
11
0
"Why is 'be' used with 'could'?" Well... that's the basic rule of modal verbs. The infinitive verb (without 'to') follows. "Could she be living in Russia?" means "Is it possible that she is living in Russia (although I'm not sure)?"
Could she be living in Russia? - Она могла бы (быть) жить в России? As you may or may not know, "to be/be" or "быть/есть" is omitted in Russian.
"Could" conveys a sense of POSSIBILITY when used as an auxiliary verb with any other verb. In this case, your main verb is "to live" and it is in the present progressive tense, in the question form. Related sentences... She is living in russia. (definite statement) Question form of definite statement: Is she living in Russia? USING "COULD" TO CONVEY POSSIBILITY, NOT DEFINITE She could be living in Russia. (not definite; it is a possibility) Question form: Could she be living in Russia?
"Could she be living in Russia?" emphasizes that we are asking whether she lives there right now, as of this moment.
It's ok, Miss Sandy. I understood.
Tatyana