Lee
He knows computers backwards and forwards, is it common to use? I can't understand know......backwards and forwards
3
1
I think: "He knows computers inside out" would be a more common phrase.
Some people use "backwards and forwards" a lot, and many people never use it. I think it sounds a little corny and old fashioned, like a 1950's person. "I know computers like the back of my hand!" "He knows computers inside and out!" But some people use one of these. Most don't. It just depends on their style.
It means you know something very well-- you know it from every possible direction. It is often used when talking about expertise. Think of it as your car. You know it from the rear headlight to the front headlight. You know it from the back to the front and from the front to the back. You know every part of your car. To know the alphabet backwards and forwards means you can say it "a, b, c, d, e..." and "z, y, x, w, v, u...". To be able to do that means you know the alphabet very well.
Lee