Ryoko
Community Tutor
whatever and however I can't understand how to use these words, could you explain and show me some examples?
You would use "whatever" anyplace you would use the phrase "of any kind" "We don't have any paper whatever." = "We don't have any paper at all/of any kind" You can also use it as "no matter what" "We will succeed whatever happens" = we will succeed no matter what happens. 'However' can be used in place of 'whatever way" or 'in whatever degree' However we proceed will not involve violence." - In whatever way we proceed, it will not involve violence.
whatever = なんでも however = どうでも
Thanks! It's very confusing but I'll try to get used to writing them little by little. I want to write/speak English more naturally than now.
I made a mistake! The second example should be "("That helps me. However, I wonder..." Ignore this if it's confusing, or feel free to ask me to explain better!
Yes, perfect!! Only the punctuation is a little wrong. "Thank you, Julie. That helps me; however, I wonder if I can use it naturally or not" is better. In English, if you use a comma (,) to connect two complete sentences, you also need a coordinating conjunction (for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so). If you tie them together without a coordinating conjunction, we use a semicolon (;). So "however" can come either at the beginning of a new sentence ("That helps me. However; I wonder...") or after a semicolon. And it has a comma after it! I hope that wasn't confusing. It's not a very important detail. Other than that, it was perfect. :-)