Judy Chang
A question about "soft" She is soft.. it means she is weak (软弱)or gentle (温柔 温和? When talking someone is soft at work, is it a negative performance?
9
0
Soft when used with a person may mean many things : POSITIVE MEANINGS : 1. responsive or sympathetic to the feelings, emotions, needs, etc., of others; tender-hearted. 2. gentle, mild, warm-hearted, or compassionate: a soft, grandmotherly woman. NEGATIVE MEANINGS 3. not strong or robust; delicate; incapable of great endurance or exertion: He was too soft for the Marines. 4. (Informal) . easily influenced or swayed; easily imposed upon; impressionable. ************************************************************************************ So the meaning depends on the context. "Soft at work" means either of the last two meanings. It may also mean that he/she is not putting enough efforts into it.
We would never use it in a work performance reference. But you could say that she was too soft to be a manager or supervisor.
When relating to work, it is more than likely a negative statement stating some or all of the following expressions/statements : You let others walk all over you // You don't stick up for yourself enough // You are too nice to others when they treat you badly and you don't say or do anything to defend yourself about it // Saying you are weak as far as letting others disrespect you without sticking up for yourself,etc.... Also when used negatively, it's about the same as saying the expression "you don't have a backbone"..// I hope all of the expressions above help you in understanding it more. Also here in the USA, if a man says to another man "you're too soft", it is usually a serious statement of disrespect, calling the other man weak, so it is basically "fighting words" if they are face to face, challenging/questioning the other man's strength, unless they are family/friends just kidding with each other................ On the positive side, soft can be saying some or all : You are very kind hearted, gentle, soft spoken, very nice personality, etc.. basically "kind hearted" says it all..... So it could be a positive word/expression depending on the type of work someone is doing, but more than likely they would just say someone is warm-hearted, kind-hearted, soft spoken, etc.. instead of saying "soft"..... My opinion is that using "soft" as an expression is most commonly used as a negative word, unless it is describing something in particular, (examples): soft heart, soft hands/soft touch, soft spoken, etc.. all are compliments mainly when directed towards a woman. I'm sorry it's such a long answer but I hope you have a better understanding of that one little word, heehee. I am far from an english professor, so all this is my opinion of meaning, from an average speaking person. Because even to me, some of the english "proper speaking" sounds funny, and most people would look at you funny if you spoke like the text books say to, because most people aren't english professors. lol ..That's why I'm worried about my learning chinese, because I don't want to sound like a robot reading out of a text book :( ....... Ok good luck :)
如果我让她滚出去,显得我没教养啊。我会说, "跟我没关系,不过跟你的工资有关系啊",哈哈:D
老婆,soft的意思就是不够凶!比如说你助理迟到了。。。然后你跟她说。。。为什么你迟到了?然后她回答你说“跟你有什么关系!?”如果你不把她滚出去人就会说你太SOFT了!
Judy Chang
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Italian
English, Italian