Just / Only ? What is the difference between words "Just" and "Only" ? For example, I just want to write a letter or I only want to write a letter ? I just read a book and I only read a book ? Thank you in advance !
'I just read a book.' = I finished reading the book quite recently. OR it can also mean I have read a book and have done nothing else. 'I only read a book' = I have read a book and have done nothing else. 'Just' can have two meanings, 'only' can have (only) one.
Found this on the Internet and explains it nicely :) ***************************************************************************************** Just : The word “just” has several possible definitions: 1) Recently Be careful – I just washed the floor, and it’s still wet. (= I washed the floor a few minutes ago) He just finished a big project. (= he finished the project very recently) 2) Only I have just one brother. (= I have only one brother) I thought you were hungry, but you ate just half of your sandwich. (= you ate only half of your sandwich, and no more) ***************************************************************************************** Only The word “only” can be replaced with “just” in most situations: Only two students came to class on the day before Christmas. = Just two students came to class on the day before Christmas. My kids only use the internet for schoolwork, not for playing games. = My kids just use the internet for schoolwork, not for playing games. In the expression “If only…” you can use “just” if you change the structure a little bit: If only I had studied harder. I would’ve passed the test. = If I had just studied harder, I would’ve passed the test. ***************************************************************************************** But, “Only” and “just” are interchangeable with definition 2 of “just,” but not with definition 1. Definition 2 – Same meaning We have just one daughter. = We have only one daughter. Definition 1 – Different meanings I just washed the floor (a few minutes ago) I only washed the floor (and I didn’t wash the table) However, it also depends on the context: “Did you clean the whole house?” “No, I just washed the floor” (= I only washed the floor). “Why is the floor wet?” “Because I just washed it” (= I recently washed it. In this case, you can’t use “only”) ***************************************************************************************** WORD ORDER When you use “just,” the word order matters: I just ate two pieces of pizza. ( = I recently ate two pieces of pizza) I ate just two pieces of pizza ( = I ate only two pieces, not 3 or 4 or 5) *****************************************************************************************
"I only read a book," would generally mean something like, "All I did was read a book." If you said, "I just read a book," that usually means, "I recently read a book." Although, "just" could also mean only, so "just" could possibly be used either way. But, generally, you would use "only" to mean the sole thing you did, and you would use "just" to mean something recent. I believe that would be the more clear and understandable usage of the words.