Could someone tell me the vdefinition of these expressiones? A:Do you have a gun? (B:You're holding it.) Does the second sentence have any specific meaning? (much obliged.) What does it mean? A:Did you know that Alex is engaged? (B:No,hit me.) What does second sentence mean? (foliage fun) What does it mean? (garage sale) What does it mean? (pad down) What does it mean? (cool off) What does it mean? (shore up) What does it mean? (sweep off to) What does it mean? (feast on) What does it mean?
A:Do you have a gun? (B:You're holding it.) A is holding a gun and asks B if he own's one, B replies that the gun A is holding is B's (much obliged.) Thank you A:Did you know that Alex is engaged? (B:No,hit me.) B is surprised by the new of Alex's engagment. (foliage fun) I haven't heard this before. unless it is talking about someone who likes working with plants and leaves. (garage sale) These are where people take stuff out of their house and sell them outside of their garage. It's also called a "yard sale" (pad down) i think you mean "pat down" this is when police are searching a suspect and "pat down" his body. (cool off) You are hot and need to cool off by going to a pool or something like that. (shore up) strengthen (sweep off to) leave to go somewhere (feast on) eating, for example, i am going to "feast on" a pizza.
I'll try to add to the answers by (brett) on a few of them, but most of them aren't common sayings... common ones are : garage sale/yard sale is when someone sells stuff from their yard or garage that they don't want anymore. A lot of it is usually junk that our girlfriends or wives buy and then it ends up laying around in our houses haha..//// And depending on what the discussion is about when someone says "your holding it" determines the meaning of the expression. It might not be a literal meaning in certain situations. And the way it sounds how you have it written, I think means (guy B) needs a gun to do something and he's planning on using (guy A's) gun to do it, because (guy B) doesn't actually have a gun of his own. I dont believe (guy A) would be holding (guy B's) gun, and asking (guy B) if he has a gun. (example) Tom is showing off his gun to Brett. Brett says "Hey let's go shoot some bottles"..Tom says "Do you have a gun?"....Brett says " Haha, yeah you're holding it"...(meaning Brett wants to use Tom's gun too, and is inviting himself to use Tom's gun before asking Tom first......///And "cool off" can literally mean you are hot and need to cool down (as in hot like fire/and cool like icecube).(example) you've been in the sun to long, so you are hot, so you jump in the water to cool down..../// But someone can say the expression "cool off" meaning you need to calm down/chill out/relax because you are getting to mad/upset/angry about something (example) You are very mad because you just found out that your girlfriend cheated on you, so you are about to literally put your fist(punch) through the tv/wall/window, and a friend tells you to "cool off"(calm down/chill out/relax) before you do something you're going to regret later..."Take a chill pill" is another expression we use in the usa, that has the same meaning as "cool off" in a circumstance like this too.///// and "much obliged" is to be appreciative of something that was done for you, I'm not sure how much other countries use that expression, but here it is a fancy rich way of saying thanks, thank you, or I appreciate it, so it is not a very comon expression unless you're very wealthy and talk fancy. But it may be common in other countries like england, I don't know.... Hope that helps some.
much obliged.I mean it.