kelvinho8
How do we use the verb 'to belong'? Sometimes I got confused on using the verb 'belong', especially when the subject in the sentence is a thing not a person. First of all, I'm not sure if the subject can be something? Second of all, even if it can, should we use passive voice?
1) A subject can be a person, place, thing or idea. The subject is a noun. 2) "Belong" is an intransitive and static (possession) verb. - An intransitive verb is an action that happens by itself. The verb is not used with an object (does not take an object); therefore, no passive form can be used. - A static verb (state of being). States of being —sensory, possession, mental, and measurement — are mostly followed by descriptors rather than "recipients of actions". For this reason, a sentence with an intransitive verb (without an object) cannot be restated as a passive sentence. For example, Active voice: The baby belongs to her. (static verb followed by prepositional phrase) Passive voice: She was belonged to the baby OR She was belonged the baby. *The passive voice sentenses are not correct English usage. You can use "belong" with both animate and inanimate objects -- someone or something belongs to someone or something... -- I belong to that book club. -- He belongs to that honor society. -- The cat, it belongs to those girls. -- The books belongs to our library. You just need to conjugate the verb to correspond to the subject. I belong We belong You belong You (plural) belong He/She/It belongs They belong
belong = be a part of; fit, suit * The house belongs to his mother. (be owned by) * I do not belong here .(have a rightful place )
The subject can be a thing. For example, those tires belong on that car. Or, you could say "the spoons and forks belong in the drawer". If the restaurant has a large supply of chop sticks, you could say "The chop sticks belong to the restaurant". The subject that goes with the verb belong, does not have to be a person. But, something likely belongs to something else, because some person decided it was so, or made it to belong to something, or purchased it for something or some place. "He purchased the picnic table for the patio, therefore the picnic table belongs on the patio."