JaceTWhite
How to link clauses together. Hello, I just had a question regarding the use of "and" in Chinese conversation. I've always just relied on 和 and 也 to try and get this across, but I think I haven't been to grammatically correct. How would you do it? Example: I am a senior university student AND I am 21 years old 我现在是高年级学生和我二十一岁。 I want to both study AND travel 我想学,也想旅行。
5
0
就 一边 一边
我今年21岁,大三。我喜欢学习和旅游。in my opinion two short sentences with and ,and=, an and between two words , translate it as 和
Hi, it seems that it’s kind of difficult to express the most simple word in Chinese… haha As for me, “and” could be used in the below situations, for your reference. Firstly, let’s talk about your examples. 1 I don’t you have to translate “and ” into something, so you could not translate “and ”here. The meaning of this sentence won’t change. “Senior student in university” could be 高年级学生, also is “大四学生” (there are four grades in university, 大一 freshman, 大二 sophomore, 大三 junior, 大四 senior) I am a senior university student AND I am 21 years old.我现在是高年级学生和我二十一岁。 我是一名大四学生,我二十一岁了,Or you could combine this two meaning together, which would be ”我是一名二十一岁的大四学生”. 2 Both.. and..=(既)…也…,it will be ok if you don’t translate 既. I want to both study AND travel.我想学,也想旅行。=我既想学习,也想旅行。 “and” could translate into 和, 然后, or just a comma”,” Examples: 1 Mary and Jenny attended their friends wedding party together yesterday. 昨天,Mary和Jenny 一起参加了她们朋友的结婚典礼。 The structure of : A and B = A 和 B 2 Work hard and you will be successful. 努力工作,(然后)你就会成功。 In this sentence, successful is a result of working hard. You don’t need to translate “and” here(just put a comma here to separate the two meanings), If you insist, you could translate into “然后=then”, this will show the relationship between “work hard” and “be successful”.
自我介紹時 較穩定的訊息放在前面 易變動的則放在後面 我是美國人(可能終身穩定) ,現年二十一歲(年復一年穩定的變動) , 目前是高年級學生(明年就不再是學生了) ,未來要當漢學家(誰能說得準呢)。 這個句子 不需要用 也或和 字連接 用逗號就可以代替了 又例句: 我,臺灣人,住在北部,從事服務業。 以下 和/ 也 的其他相似用詞: 我想讀書 也想旅行 我既想讀書 也想旅行 我想讀書和旅行 我想吃牛排 也想吃壽司 我既想吃牛排 也想吃壽司 我想吃牛排和壽司 我既癡又呆 (癡呆同意 強調愚昧) 她既聰明又漂亮 (聰明 漂亮並存) 村民載歌載舞 (載: 同時 歌和舞 同時進行) 曹操且戰且走 (且: 同時 戰和走 同時進行) 孩子又哭又鬧 (又: 同時 哭和鬧 同時進行) 以上為對等連接 若要進一步表示強調 可以用 而且 來代替語氣平平的和或也 我是學生 而且也是漢語高級班的最優秀學生 我今年二十一歲 而且我已經學了二十一年的中文了
The Chinese don't really use 'and' to link sentences the way we do in English. They would just say 我现在是高年级学生,我二十一岁。也 is also/too, it doesn't really mean 'and', though you can use it like and sometimes.
JaceTWhite
Chinese (Mandarin), English, French, German
Chinese (Mandarin), French, German