Flor0064
Overuse of verb to be in descriptions. I made a description of a person and the teacher told me that I had overused the verb to be.. How can I change that? Which other structures you can use in a description?
2
0
What was your description? It might help to see it to suggest other ways of saying things, but here are some possible ways of changing things: To Have: She is wearing a blue top. -> She has a blue top on. She is blonde. -> She has blonde hair. To Look (for describing emotions): She is happy. -> She looks happy. If you were writing in a more descriptive, story-like way, you could put all those together into 'Her blonde hair fell forward over her blue top as she smiled.' So you can see it depends a lot on the kind of description you want to write.
Good writers avoid all forms of the verb "to be" in their writing. They use their imaginations to structure active verbs and convey their ideas in that way.
Flor0064