Brainer
This or That with the meaning of "very" I found out in my dictionary that "that" or "this" can be used before nouns giving an extent. Is there any difference between them in this meaning? The test was that difficult. The test was this difficult. Thank you in advance!
2
0
It is a bit like the normal use, but in terms of time. This = comparison to something now (close). That = comparison to something before. (far away) For example: ''I can't do this question. Is the real test THIS difficult?'' (as difficult as this question now?) ''Only 3 out of 50 people passed last time. The test is THAT difficult!!'' (as difficult as that previous event shows.) Here, ''this'' and ''that'' are used as intensifiers, like ''very'' or ''extremely''. So the test is ''very'' difficult.
They are similar but there;s a difference. That is kinda pointing to something far while this is pointing to something close. For example: That picture reminds me of you. *points at the picture across the room* This picture reminds me of you. *shows the picture that is in my hand* It's still the same with the extent of "very" You would have to compare it to something else if you are going to use this or that. Does this makes sense?
Brainer
English, Japanese, Portuguese