Gregory
How to use "jo" and "jamen" I continue to see "jo" and "jamen" used in ways I don't quite understand. Could someone please explain how to use these properly? Possibly with examples? :)
3
1
Han har JO ingen penge! :-o = BUT he hasn't got any money! :-o Du skal JO putte mælk i først, det har jeg JO sagt! >:-( = BUT you have to put milk in first, I've already TOLD you that! >:-( Jamen, hvorfor skal det i først? = But, why does it have to go in first? Det har jeg jo sagt! = I've said that already!/I've already said that/I've told you that already/I've already told you that! Det har du da aldrig sagt no get om! :-( = You've never said anything about that!/No, you've never said anything about that! :-(
I cannot really find a good explanation in English, as I think there isn't a corresponding word. The word "jo" is used to give a statement extra strength, like "det var jo det jeg sagde!", which means "that's what I told you!", with extra emphasis on 'told'. 'Jamen' is a "filler" word used mostly in spoken Danish. Frequently, when a person is asked a question, he or she - in order to win time to think - starts his/her answer with 'jamen'. 'Jamen' - directly translated - consists of two words put together: 'ja' (yes) and 'men' (but). However, it doesn't actually mean anything. In written Danish, 'jamen' can be used in its actual meaning ("yes, but"): e.g.: "Jamen det var jo det jeg sagde!", meaning "(yes) but that's what I told you!" (wiht emphasis on 'told')
"jo" means "yes", used to confirm a question including "ikke" like: A: Er du dansk? B: Ja, jeg er dansk. A: Er du ikke dansk? (Aren´t you Danish?) B: Jo, jeg er dansk. "jamen" or "ja, men" sometimes means "but": A: Er solen gul? B: Ja, men sommetider er den rød. "jamen" can be used like this, meaning "but": A: Du er dum! B: Jamen i går sagde du, jeg er klog. Very often you can use "men" instead of "jamen" and get almost the same meaning. There is more to it. Let's keep it simple here.
Gregory
Danish, English, French, German, Portuguese, Swedish
Danish, French, Portuguese