YANG Lei
Why we used the simple past here: It'd be against the law if we didn't? K: That's fine. Do I get over-time for any extra hours that I work? P: Of course. It'd be against the law if we didn't. --- In this conversation, why we used the simple past "we didn't"?
29 de Out de 2012 às 13:32
2
0
2nd conditional. If + past simple, would.
29 de Outubro de 2012
The first answer is generally correct, it is the second conditional form. The reason why it was used here: The first conditional "If I don't get up early, I will miss the bus." is used when the "if" statement is either in the future or a general rule. ("If you jump into the river, you will get wet.") In your example, the second conditional is used because it describes a decision (getting over-time) that has already been made and it is already a fact. You would use the first conditional here if either no extra hours were made until now or if it is uncertain if you get over-time.
29 de Outubro de 2012
YANG Lei