할아버지 / 祖父
korean topic/particle markers so 은/는 are neutral, equivalent to english "a" (a dog) and 이/가 are emphatic, equivalent to english "the" (the dog) where are 를/을 appropriate ? please give examples in your answer. Thanks.
6
0
As Yena said, 을/를 is an object-marking particle which means it needs a transitive verb. More examples: 저는 커피를 좋아해요. I like coffee. 저는 노래를 들어요. I listen to songs. 저는 책을 읽어요. I read a book. You can't use 을/를 with descriptive verbs, for example "커피를 좋아요" makes no sense although it's not hard to guess what it's intended to mean; you might say "커피가 좋아요" instead. I think what you're saying about 은/는 and 이/가 is: 얼음은 차가워요. Ice is cold. ⇒ General statement. It's also possible to interpret it as "(fire and others may be hot but) Ice is cold" since 은/는 implies "as opposed to others". 얼음이 차가워요. (the)ice is cold. ⇒ If you say this one, I'd assume you're talking about something more specific, like an ice cube you may be holding. I hope that answered your question.
을/를 is a object marker. So, when you say I am drinking a coffee in Korean is 나는 커피를 마셔요. So in here there is a 를 after the object.
Hello, Andrew! '이'/'가' in ~ 이/가 아니다 is bojosas. So if I want to convey this nuance I will accent at the word 'NOT' in English. '이'/'가' is also used as signifying subject in sentence, and in this case, it's not equivalent to whatever word in English. '은'/'는' is for giving a additional nuance for emphasis, for contrasting things, for indicating topic. 을/를 is josa for objective case.
할아버지 / 祖父
English, Japanese, Korean
Japanese, Korean