Teacher Beth
Professional Teacher
How can I say 'Take that' in this type of context in Chinese? In English when we have done well at something, beaten a record/something, proved someone/something wrong etc etc, we might say , ha, take that...! For example: today I got a really good mark in my Classical Chinese exam. Because I find it so hard I said "Ha, take that Classical Chinese" (Like I'm punching Classical Chinese in it's metaphorical face)! I'm pretending Chinese is a thing I can hit and defeat basically, Take that (a punch in the face) Classical Chinese Another example: a teacher is always telling his student "Oh, you're stupid, you wont do anything with your life, 5 years later the student meets the teacher in the street and he tells the teacher about his beautiful wife, multi million worldwide trading company, his huge houses in several countries The teacher looks blown away, stutters and says "oh oh great, well done" The student thinks in his head ( or maybe even out loud) "ha, take that you old *******". How can I express this kind of idea in Chinese?
Nov 2, 2012 12:26 AM
5
1
It's really tough to find a corresponding phrase in Chinese that can exactly express the meaning of "take that"From what I see, "瞧啊" or "等着瞧" would be the closest one that can partly suffice the meanning; like "ha, take that Classical Chinese" would be "哈,古文,等着瞧吧" or "ha, take that you old..." would be "哈,瞧你这个老家伙……" However, attention need to be paid that "瞧啊", "等着瞧", including "看我的" and "接招吧" include somewhat contemptuous meanning, therefore you can't use them in an positive case, like someone did a good job at something. For the record, it's just according to my knowledge, with more you learn, perhaps you will find some better phrase. By the way, you konw, the word "take" itself has a number of different meanings, each of which corresponds different translation, the context changes, the translation changes, like take the bus "乘汽车", take a shower "洗澡", take an oath "起誓", take over "接管", I can't take it anymore "我再也受不了了", take... as your wife "让..成为你的妻子", take a look at "看..." and so on; herein, my idea is, remember each different context with a corresponding translation. Hence, when "take that" is used in a positive context, I'd rather translate it into "看..." or "快看...!" which is part of its complete meaning as well. For instance: take that! He just broke the record! “快看啊,他破纪录了!"; take that the wonderful handwritting she writes "看啊,她的字写的真好!".
This question restated is this, "What do Chinese traditionally say when throwing a punch?" (presuming there exists such a standard exhortation expressing release of pent-up frustration.) I suspect this is akin to asking, "What is the English of saying 咑 when prodding a donkey?"
I'm afraid I have to say, you cannot take the wordings '等著瞧' and '接招吧' mentioned for 'ha, take that...' because it refers to a perfective tense that you HAVE BEATEN something. '等著瞧' or '接招吧' is for future tense as a matter of fact. A close one that comes to my mind is '瞧你的', but I think you will get some better onwards in this thread. As to 'ha, take that you old ***', it's '看到沒' or '看到沒有'. 5 years is way toooooo long Beth, because 君子報仇三年不晚啊 haha (joke)
Haha, what a question. If I were in your situation, I might say this to classic Chinese “小样儿,不能了吧” or "最后你还是干不过我" haha. I'm not sure it's the correct translation, but I'll express myself like this. When it comes to the second situation, the man might say ... well, I really don't know how to translate... maybe that man's words would be a little bit insulting , so I'm not sure.
Ha, take that Classical Chinese 哈 古文 等著瞧 哈 古文 看我的 (省略 招式 能耐 等詞) 哈 古文 接招吧 (招: 招式 武術的招式) ha, take that you old *******". 哈 瞧你這個糟老頭 哈 看看你這副德性 哈 糟老頭 認輸吧 哈 你老不死的 認命吧
Teacher Beth
Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), English, French, German
Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), French, German