Tatyana
What's the difference between adjectives "efficient" and "effective"?
Nov 3, 2012 8:45 AM
4
0
In simple words Effective = Getting things done Efficient = Spending the least amount of efforts and resources in doing a work e.g. Suppose you want to calculate the number of people standing in 10 rows and 11 columns. Adding them all individually will be EFFECTIVE but not EFFICIENT. Approximating their numbers will be EFFICIENT but not EFFECTIVE Multiplying 10 by 11 and getting 121 as the number of people is both EFFECTIVE and EFFICIENT :)
The two words are close, but not quite the same. 'Effective' means basically achieving or causing a desired result. 'Efficient' means that you do something with the least amount of effort required and/or it is well organized. If some method is effective, we usually assume that it is efficient, but it may not be. It may have taken more effort than necessary, but still achieved the desired result. Likewise, I can be very well organized, but not able to achieve my end result. If I run a political campaign, I can run an efficient one, but if my candidate loses the election, it is not effective.
Tatyana