Lee
He arose at 6:30 a.m. as usual. "arise" is better than "get up"? He arose at 6:30 a.m. as usual. "arise" is better than "get up"?
3 de nov de 2012 15:22
3
0
Good answers! I agree about the verb "arise" being uncommon in normal speech. May I just add that for many people there is a big difference between "to wake up" (stop sleeping) and "to get up" (arise, rise up from the bed)? When I wake up in the morning, I always lie there in bed for a while (until I really, really start to want my coffee) and only then do I "get up"! In my part of the world, people say that they "get right up" if they get out of bed as soon as they wake up. My husband always gets right up! I never get right up. :)
3 de Noviembre de 2012
'Arose' is not used a lot in regular conversations but you will be able to find it in books. The most common is 'woke up' and then 'get/got up'. Wake up is more formal than got up, so if you are talking to a neighbor or newly met person it is better to say 'wake/woke up'. When talking to friends or family members it is fair enough to say 'get/got up'...^_^
3 de Noviembre de 2012
If it's simple present: He wakes up at 6:30 in the morning. or He gets up at 6:30 in the morning. For simple past: He woke up at 6:30 yesterday. or He got up at 6:30 yesterday.
3 de Noviembre de 2012
Lee