Kashish
when we use WOULD? i always get confused in the usage of would and will so can someone help me to get rid of this confusion ?
Nov 4, 2012 7:54 AM
4
0
Use of Would : *** Talking about the past We often use would as a kind of past tense of will or going to: * I thought it would rain so I brought my umbrella. ----------------------------------------------------- ***Future in past When talking about the past we can use would to express something that has not happened at the time we are talking about: *In London she met the man that she would one day marry. *He left 5 minutes late, unaware that the delay would save his life. ---------------------------------------------------- *** Conditionals We often use would to express the so-called second and third conditionals: * If he lost his job he would have no money. * If I had won the lottery I would have bought a car. ------------------------------------------------------ *** Polite requests and questions * Would you open the door, please? (more polite than: Open the door, please.) ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- *** “Would” is often viewed as simply the past of “will”, which is true to some extent, but it has other purposes. Take a look at the two examples below: 1. Will you call me a taxi? 2. Would you call me a taxi? Both are examples of requests and serve the same function of getting a taxi called. Example (1) is more informal and probably used when we know the person well. Example (2) is more polite and used if you do not know the person so well.
The answers given below almost explain it completely. There is a slight correction in your question : "I always get confused in the usage of 'would'. Can/will someone help me (to) get rid of this confusion ?"
Using would as as a kind of past tense of will or going to is common in reported speech. Ex-She said that she would buy some eggs. ("I will buy some eggs.") The candidate said that he wouldn't increase taxes. ("I won't increase taxes.") ..................................................................................................................................................... We often use would not to talk about past refusals. Ex-He wanted a divorce but his wife would not agree. Yesterday morning, the car wouldn't start. .......................................................................................................................................... We sometimes use would (rather like used to) when talking about habitual past behaviour. Ex-Every weekday my father would come home from work at 6pm and watch TV. Every summer we would go to the seaside. Sometimes she would phone me in the middle of the night. We would always argue. We could never agree. ............................................................................................. "would" also used for unreal or imagined situations: Ex-I would love to visit New York.' She would like to be professional footballer.' We would go, but we are too busy.'
Kashish
English, Hindi