Nicky
How can I communicate that "I have been doing" something? How can I communicate that I have been doing a certain activity and am also still doing it? My literal understanding of the translation would be something like: He estado trabajando en tu problema. But, I am not sure if that is actually the correct way to communicate that idea in Spanish. Thanks!
Nov 5, 2012 12:06 AM
4
0
That would be correct. Although "en tu problema" sound a little bit strange and it would better to say "con tu problema". "en tu problema" would be translated as "in your problem" while "con tu problema" would be translated as "with your problem." So "He estado trabajando con tu problema" would be "I've been working with/on your porblem." I hope that helps.
Hello everybody! Strictly speaking, if one just says "he estado trabajando en tu problema", there is no way to know if the speaker is still working on it or no (in english, there is no problem with it, because "to have been doing something" implies that the action is still being performed in the present) . So, to add this information in spanish, whether one should use another way to express it, as for example: "llevo un tiempo trabajando en tu problema", or make it clear by adding something like: "he estado trabajando en tu problema...y sigo con ello". Another posibility that comes to my mind now: "estoy trabajando en tu problema últimamente". Anyway, as I said before, these additional explanations should be given just when one wants to STRICTLY transmit the information that one is still working on the problem, but in real life, it can be very probably deduced by the context, and saying "he estado trabajando en tu problema" can be enough.
Yo entiendo lo que quiere decir Nicky, o sea: yo tengo un problema y otra persona está haciendo algo para remediar mi problema. I understand what you mean Nicky, namely : I have a problem and other person is doing something to remedy my problem. Saludos
Nicky
Spanish