Nihilo
Enter in vs Enter? When do we use "enter in" and "enter" ? for instance: the food enter my mouth. And in which cases do we use "enter in"???
Apr 23, 2013 9:29 PM
You can 'enter in' a competition, or a race; you can make an 'entry in' a race, or a log-book or a journal. I feel food does not normally 'enter the mouth' however, because that somewhat implies the food has intention and enters of its own accord (but maybe you could say it in some situations - as soon as the first food in a week entered my mouth I almost swooned from delight!). You enter a home, a building, you can enter into a discussion, an argument.... oh who can explain the vagaries of English! haha
April 23, 2013
I don't think there's any case where "enter in" is required. Anytime you say "enter in" you can probably say "enter" and it will have the same meaning. "Enter in" is just a style choice. The word "in" adds an extra feeling of going inside, but you don't have to use it.
April 24, 2013
Nihilo
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), English, French, German, Italian, Korean
Chinese (Mandarin), English, French, German, Korean