Alexey
Genus How I can say about dog (for example)? "He" or "She"? And what about of genus in english language? I hope you understand me)
Apr 24, 2013 12:52 PM
In English language the words do not have genders as in other Indo-European languages. Despite this, some pronouns bear masculine, feminine and neutral properties as well. Among these pronouns "he" and "she" are used to refer to the humans whereas "it" is used for inanimate things as well as animals. Hereby, you are expected to call "dog" with "it". However, in vulgar language it is ok to call them with "he" or "she" in accordance with its gender. Besides, things like ships and airplanes can also be called as "she" in causal speech.
April 24, 2013
In English, we talk about male dogs, and a female dog is referred to as "the bitch". This may sound rude, but it is a veterenarian's word for female dog. The kind of dog that it is is called the "breed." Dogs require the pronoun it generally (because they are not people). Breed is your word for genus, I think.
April 24, 2013
If you know what's the gender of the dog, of course you can say he or she. Or you can say, "my dog, his dog, her dog." If it do not have an owner, you can call it stray dog. :)
April 24, 2013
If you know the dog's sex you can use "he" or "she". If you don't known use "it" ;)
April 24, 2013
grammatical gender. Not genus))
April 24, 2013