Chris 민찬
What does "일이라도" mean? Good Day! I'm having trouble with this expression (일이라도) or whatever it's supposed to be. Naver is being really helpful providing me with 10 example sentences that contain this expression but have NOTHING in common in any way... Thanks in advance!
May 8, 2013 7:34 PM
I think it basically means "or something." It's 일(which is like 것 in this case) + (이)라도 (which is a particle that indicates there are other options.) Ex) 무슨 일이라도 했어요? Did (a thing or) something happen? Ex) 제가 무슨 실수라도 했어요? Did I make a mistake (or something?) I recommend this lesson which explains this in detail. Check out the PDF especially. : ) http://www.talktomeinkorean.com/lessons/level-5-lesson-15/
it can mean various things depending on your context. 라도 could mean "even" or "any". you are missing a very important clue to this. 일 does not appear by itself. it has to be preceded by ㄴ,은, or ㄹ because 일 does not really mean anything concrete it is like 것 which is used to fulfil structural requirement. when posing question in korean language, it is advisable to put in complete sentence. The language allows such diverse interpretation without contextual aid.