tarata88
a grammar test question Hi could someone help explain this question. The anwser is a, but why b is not possible? I think the answer b can be interpreted as the action of making coffee was in progress and spanning which included the action of going home. That is she was in the progress of making a cup of coffee right at the time when John got home (arrived at home). Is this possible ? When John got home from work, _____. a. she made a cup of coffee b. she was making a cup of coffee c. she makes a cup of coffee d. she has made a cup of coffee Thank you
May 18, 2013 3:09 PM
17
0
I agree with you, B is also possible.
You're right, A & B are both possible.
B is wrong because.. I suppose.. John made coffee AT home.. not during the "got home" (sorry for my english..). He makes coffee at home, after the "got home" Is it true?
If the doer was making it when as John arrives, it's "B". But if the doer started making it when she sees him, it i go for "A"
Thanks everyone ! The source is from http://www.learn4good.com/languages/toefl/toefl_stan_test6.php3
tarata88
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Japanese, Thai