Irene
What verb should I use in this sentence "I ... to my dog" if I mean "I give food to my dog". I want to ask you a question. What verb should I use in this sentence "I ... to my dog" if I mean "I give food to my dog". Can I say "I feed my dog"?What about squirrels? Can I say: "I feed some squirrels" or should I say in other way?
May 18, 2013 7:24 PM
12
0
'I feed my dog' can mean either I give my dog food and he eats it from my hand, or I give my dog food (in a bowl or something similar) and he eats it himself.
I am trying to think of when I would say "I feed my dog" & it is difficult. When it is difficult, I wonder whether it is what people mean. . Your dog is so thin. Do you feed it? Yes, I feed my dog. Yes, I give beef to my dog. Yes, I give dog food to my dog. - not incorrect, but strange. Yes, I feed my dog, dog-food. . But much more natural to say something like Yes, beef. I give chopped beef to my dog. or better I feed him chopped beef & uncooked bones. . I feed squirrels in the park. Yesterday I gave peanuts to the squirrels. Today I am giving walnuts to the squirrels. . They have a weekly menu. Today is Sunday, so today I give pinenuts to the squirrels. I can use "give" as it refers to a pattern, "every Sunday I give pinenuts to the squirrels".
Yes you can. If you are the one taking the food to its mouth, but if it's eating itself this mean "you give the dog food"
I feed my dog.
Give : Ataeru : 与える
Irene
Bulgarian, Russian, Spanish, Ukrainian
Bulgarian, Spanish