mayllt
according to the text ,who "moved toward the chair"? In the half-century since he had come to the Senate as a nine-year-old page boy Riedel had never before committed the breach of running out on the Senate floor. Now he raced up to Senator after Senator, spluttering, "The President has been shot—the President—he's been shot!" Holland of Florida gaped at him, Dirksen of Illinois, sagged. His face empty, Riedel looked up to the rostrum for help and saw Kennedy of Massachusetts. In a cloakroom the strained rumors had just reached the Majority Leader, Mike Mansfield. Mike remembered that Ted had been presiding when Patrick Kennedy died, and he moved toward the chair. Riedel beat him there. On the dais he began, "The most horrible thing has happened! It's terrible, terrible!''] who "moved toward the chair" ,is it "Mike Mansfield?"I see, it's Ted but does "move toward the chair" mean he actually go up to the rostrum? or does it mean he finally became the presider? I prefer the latter one, am I right?
May 22, 2013 7:40 AM
1
0
In this case it appears to mean both. He physically went to the chair and took control of the meeting to make the announcement.
mayllt